We just wrapped up another successful VBS. Here are a few highlights:
- We welcomed 110 campers, many were guests to our church. Kids were encouraged to bring a friend each night. This is the second year that we have not charged a fee for VBS so it makes it easier to bring guests who may only be able to attend for one or two nights.
- We are grateful to the 65 volunteers who made this event possible. With the high school students away on their mission trip at the same time, we had to dig deeper for additional volunteers. We are happy to say that had plenty of people step forward to help, many new faces!
- The theme of VBS was Victory (curriculum from Go Fish Guys). The children learned about Victory in Jesus through courage, obedience, faith, and love. The pep-rally theme allowed us to build upon many stories of sportsmanship and strength throughout the week. The Waukee High School drum line played at the start of the first evening - the kids loved it!
- The mission for VBS was Lutheran Services in Iowa Global Greens. We welcomed a guest from LSI to teach the children about her journey as a refugee and how LSI Global Greens has helped her. The growers from LSI came back on the last evening of VBS to setup a small Global Greens farmers market on our patio at Faith. It was a wonderful way for the kids (and parents) to support LSI.
- Including $1000 matching donations from generous Faith members, the children of VBS raised $1,515.41 in noisy offerings for a total of $2,515.41 for LSI's Global Greens program! For more information on Global Greens, visit http://lsiowa.org/services/refugee/programs/global-greens/. And don’t forget to stop by the Global Greens Farmers' Market on Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at 3200 University in Des Moines.
Thank you for your support of CFM!